Hodge Defense Systems.

Valk

I have a Hodge Barrel, would there be any issues putting it on a different brand of Upper? I've been looking for a Hodge stripped upper, but no luck.

There shouldn't be; to my knowledge, the Hodge stripped upper is a Mega/Zev forged upper made to Jim's specs. I'm currently on the hunt for a stripped Hodge lower and Hodge BCG to turn my current gun into a complete Hodge rifle as well. Last I heard ODS is supposed to get some in later this year. The last time they had lowers, they sold them as a receiver set, so be ready for that.

Speaking of uppers, I finally got my completed Hodge upper back from pin and weld. I haven't had a chance to test it yet; does anyone have a list of ammo types that are known to work with the restricted gas port size on the "gov spec" 14.5"s? Being a civilian I'm a bit limited in my ammo options, but I'm hoping M193 won't have any issues with a Super 42/H1 buffer unsuppressed.

BooneGA

Staff member
WARLORD
There shouldn't be; to my knowledge, the Hodge stripped upper is a Mega/Zev forged upper made to Jim's specs. I'm currently on the hunt for a stripped Hodge lower and Hodge BCG to turn my current gun into a complete Hodge rifle as well. Last I heard ODS is supposed to get some in later this year. The last time they had lowers, they sold them as a receiver set, so be ready for that.

Speaking of uppers, I finally got my completed Hodge upper back from pin and weld. I haven't had a chance to test it yet; does anyone have a list of ammo types that are known to work with the restricted gas port size on the "gov spec" 14.5"s? Being a civilian I'm a bit limited in my ammo options, but I'm hoping M193 won't have any issues with a Super 42/H1 buffer unsuppressed.

No issues with AE223 unsuppressed in my 14.5 barrel. Haven't shot anything weaker. I have the factory buffer spring/buffer.

Rick

Valk

A gun store in San Antonio

To add to this, Dury's and Adelbridge & Co., both in San Antonio, are two of the very small number of places that I know of that have ever sold complete Hodge rifles. I had the pleasure of handling a Mod 1 at Adelbridge in September; never thought I'd see one in person. Had a good discussion with one of the guys there about Jim's guns (he promptly brought out his personal Mod 1 to talk shop about when he realized I knew what was up).

Zack

Amateur
What bolt/bcg’s are y’all running in your one assembled Hodge uppers? I’m under the impression that Hodge bolts and bcg’s are pretty sparse, even for Hodge stuff.

Valk

I've been using a SOLGW BCG out of a desire to keep my rifle as Texan as possible. The Hodge BCG and lower are the only remaining Hodge parts I need to have a complete rifle. I've also got an FNH bolt on standby in case the SOLGW bolt goes down (I know they'll replace it under their warranty, but it's nice to have an interim substitute).

Speaking of bolts/BCGs, in the off chance I do stumble into a Hodge BCG, would I need to re-headspace the gun with it? I was always under the impression that it wasn't necessary for bolt/BCG changes, but recently I've started hearing otherwise.

user12358

Speaking of bolts/BCGs, in the off chance I do stumble into a Hodge BCG, would I need to re-headspace the gun with it? I was always under the impression that it wasn't necessary for bolt/BCG changes, but recently I've started hearing otherwise.

You can't re-headscpace an AR-15 barrel without taking the barrel extension off. The headspace on your Hodge barrel was set by FNH when they were making your barrel. You can check headspace if you so desire with GO/NOGO guages but there is nothing you as an end user can realistically do to change it on an AR.

Peppers100

Has anyone paired a Hodge 12.5 barrel with an A5 buffer system? I was hoping to get a little extra length of pull from the A5 receiver extension. Just wonder if I am inviting cycling issues setting the riffle up this way...

Valk

Has anyone paired a Hodge 12.5 barrel with an A5 buffer system? I was hoping to get a little extra length of pull from the A5 receiver extension. Just wonder if I am inviting cycling issues setting the riffle up this way...

I actually asked this question earlier today in the P&S Discord; one of the guys with a 12.5" Mod 2 upper said his is running fine with an A5H0.

Unobtanium

In addition to what has been said above, another difference is the material. It uses Aluminium-lithium which is what's used on the MOD 2 receivers. In an nutshell it's both lighter and stronger than the mega counter part.
Hodge Wedge rails are 7075. You MUST! pair them with the SLR gas block made for this application.
Hodge PLOK rails are 6061. They accept most(all?) gas blocks.

Both test out extremely well in drop tests.

The 12.5 barrels you see available are 100% Hodge spec. If you went to his shop and he built you a 12.5 gun, it would have a barrel potentially from the same batch, and of 100% the same spec, as one from WO, etc. The gas port is optimal for unsuppressed 5.56 (75gr Gold Dot has a fast burn curve and will work fine, even though it's .223), and suppressed weapon usage.

This might be old news... I know they are offering their version of the Wedgelock, but FN is putting their P-lock on rifles now. 0ACEE059-FB25-4762-ADBF-7DB137195C5A.jpeg