Fire Dept. Active Killer Armor

Hey Guys,
I'm a full time fire/medic for a large district in the St. Louis area and I have been tasked with outfitting my district because I also serve as a tactical medic for a local sheriffs office. With that being said, I have everything quoted out except the armor plates. My district doesn't want soft armor, only plates. They also want steel plates... Shelf life, rough handling in fire apparatus, that kind of thing. I run Hesco 4400 for my LE kit. How do I convince my chiefs that ceramic is a greater value overall when they are set on steel? I've argued ricochets, splattering, everything I can think off. Does anyone in a professional context use steel plates? Anyone have any real world data on large scale use of steel? Any help would be appreciated, fiscal year is coming, and we need to spend tax dollars. Thanks.

HighTower

Compile the data about common rifle threats as Patriot_Man above has referenced.

Add the cost of steel plates that can stop said threat. (220$)(https://www.chasetactical.com/produ...-plate-nij-0101-06-compliant-cordura-wrapped/)

Then bring up a Hesco 4400, which for same price will stop said threat and more.

Then to drive the point home to the bean counter, bring up the 4S17M for 180.

So now you can show a more cost effective route. Ceramic is not as fragile as it used to be. There is a YouTube video where a dude takes a sledge hammer to the 4S17M plate and it still works. Dont abuse it, but it is not china doll.

Compile the data about common rifle threats as Patriot_Man above has referenced.

Add the cost of steel plates that can stop said threat. (220$)(https://www.chasetactical.com/produ...-plate-nij-0101-06-compliant-cordura-wrapped/)

Then bring up a Hesco 4400, which for same price will stop said threat and more.

Then to drive the point home to the bean counter, bring up the 4S17M for 180.

So now you can show a more cost effective route. Ceramic is not as fragile as it used to be. There is a YouTube video where a dude takes a sledge hammer to the 4S17M plate and it still works. Dont abuse it, but it is not china doll.
Thanks, I will give that a shot. On a side note, zeroing my new MDR, shot a round right thru my AR550 target....