First set of plates

Hey guys

Looking to pick up my first set of plates, I'm not LEO or Mil. Purpose would be for a few shoot house/cqb classes, range training, and shtf. I have a Spiritus LV119 in large on its way. I'm 6'2" with a 46" chest so I'm thinking I'll need a Large SAPI.

Mainly concerned about 5.56, 7.62x39, and .308. Hoping to spend between $400 -$800 for the set. Any thoughts on the RMA #1093, Hesco L210 or 4400? Other plates to look for? Thanks!

HighTower

Highcom's 4sas7's cover everything you mentioned plus IV, Battalion defense supply is the cheapeat i have found them.

Hesco is A+ as well, RMA is minorly in the dog house for bad marketing practices, but their ceramic is good, just read the coverage specs in fine print.

CD228

Amateur
I'm not sure the HESCO L210 is rated for the .308. The 4400 is going to be heavy. Is weight or thickness a consideration? You could look at HESCO 3400, 3600 or an AT Armor AT Armor's FFS4 (heavy, thick, affordable). I've never used RMA so I can't comment. I went with some Tencate plates from AT armor for my first plates, AT badged CRATUS 3200s IIRC. How fast do you need the plates? you might be better off saving for some HESCO 3810s or 3610s, they are light weight, available in your size and tested against a number of common rounds.

ggammell

Does not pass up an opportunity to criticize P&S.
Don’t assume you need large plates. If at all possible but a tac ship around you to check out sizing. I am 48” chest and 6’ tall. 10x12/mediums are ideal. There’s a reason those sizes are common.

Michael Ray

Vendor
L210s are not rated for 308. They are rated for lead core & mild steel 5.56 (M193 & M855/SS109, resp.) and 7.62x39 (M67 & M43, resp.), and API 7.62x39. If your primary concerns are dudes with ARs, AKMs, or SKSes and the foods most commonly found for each, these aren't bad choices.

If 308, 30-06, various AP flavors, etc. are concerns, then you need something else.

jwr_patriot

Amateur
L210s are not rated for 308. They are rated for lead core & mild steel 5.56 (M193 & M855/SS109, resp.) and 7.62x39 (M67 & M43, resp.), and API 7.62x39. If your primary concerns are dudes with ARs, AKMs, or SKSes and the foods most commonly found for each, these aren't bad choices.

If 308, 30-06, various AP flavors, etc. are concerns, then you need something else.

Probably a stupid question, but the L210’s will stop handgun rounds as well correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure the HESCO L210 is rated for the .308. The 4400 is going to be heavy. Is weight or thickness a consideration? You could look at HESCO 3400, 3600 or an AT Armor AT Armor's FFS4 (heavy, thick, affordable). I've never used RMA so I can't comment. I went with some Tencate plates from AT armor for my first plates, AT badged CRATUS 3200s IIRC. How fast do you need the plates? you might be better off saving for some HESCO 3810s or 3610s, they are light weight, available in your size and tested against a number of common rounds.

Yup weight and thickness are definitely a concern. I’d like to stay under 15lbs for the set ideally closer to 12. As far as thickness I’d like to stay below 1.2in.

I’m not in too much of a rush, I’d like to have them in hand in the next 9 months or so. I think you’re right I’ll likely better of saving up a bit more and going with HESCO 3810 or 3610 or the Atarmor STOP plate.

Thanks for the reply

Don’t assume you need large plates. If at all possible but a tac ship around you to check out sizing. I am 48” chest and 6’ tall. 10x12/mediums are ideal. There’s a reason those sizes are common.

I’ll give the 10x12 a shot but I don’t think 12in will cover the bottom of my rib cage

patriot_man

Is this an immediate need and do you plan on sticking with these plates for the long term?

If the answer to #1 is no and #2 is yes, I would highly recommend going with something with a multi-curve. If you can stretch your budget $200, you are in 3610 territory which will cover M80, M855, M193, and mild steel 7.62x39.

Grizzly

Is this an immediate need and do you plan on sticking with these plates for the long term?

If the answer to #1 is no and #2 is yes, I would highly recommend going with something with a multi-curve. If you can stretch your budget $200, you are in 3610 territory which will cover M80, M855, M193, and mild steel 7.62x39.

I run the 3610s in my overt carrier. They aren't thin but they are light affordable and have an impressive threat stopping list.

I'm definitely considering going the 3610 route since it's only an extra $200.

HighTower

Thanks let me know what you think of them. Definitely on my list

I assume the only issue i will have is the shape and cut.

Im short and broad/Flat, so a single curve 8 x 10 shooters cut is headed my way.

4sas7 is also thinner due lack of drop padding.

Highcom's 4sas7's cover everything you mentioned plus IV, Battalion defense supply is the cheapeat i have found them.

Hesco is A+ as well, RMA is minorly in the dog house for bad marketing practices, but their ceramic is good, just read the coverage specs in fine print.
Just curious what did RMA do in terms of bad marketing practices?

HighTower

Just curious what did RMA do in terms of bad marketing practices?
RMA 1189 as a mta plate can take a titanic beating but there is a half inch ring of foam around the array, so in practice the *real* measurements are off... RMA never went out of their way to make this known... like a full size SUV with a gas tank of a geo, one should not have to ask about gas tank size or plate coverage... i dont think it was malicious per say but from one yellow foot prints guy to another, not making that pain and plane clear was not cool.

Does Hesco sell plates to us civilian peasants or is that reserved for Mil/LE? I bought some RMA 1155 level 4 plates a few months ago because it was cheap and it seemed to hold up well from the torture tests I saw on youtube.