Recommend an EDC folder?

erwos

Amateur
My CRKT M16 knife has gone missing (probably in a couch or drawer somewhere), so I need a new EDC knife. My requirements are as follows:
1. It needs to be a folder. Fixed is not an option.
2. Blade length is not critical, but <= 2.5" is actually helpful for reasons. Feel free to recommend stuff over this length, though.
3. It needs to be conducive to concealed pocket carry. A clip would be very good, but I'm not picky about tip up or tip down.
4. I would like something that can deploy rapidly under stress if I do my part. Does not need to be assisted open.
5. The locking system needs to be solid and pass the "smack the back on the table" test.
6. It cannot be overly expensive (> ~$50) in case I have to ditch it.

Any recommendations would be tremendously appreciated. I am aware of how awesome centerline fixed blades are, but those are just not an option for my situation.

jBravo3

Based on your criteria, a Spyderco Delica 4 would be my recommendation. I have a couple, and although I usually carry a small fixed blade or Emerson CQC8, I really like the Delica for it's size, weight, durability, and value. It may be slightly over your preferred price, but if you shop around a bit, you can come pretty close.

I believe it was recommended in the Degrees of Concealment P&S Podcast episode, but check out Spyderco's budget Byrd line. I've been carrying a Meadowlark 2 this year and I'm really happy with it. They are under $25 on the Amazon. One note is that they open a little tighter than some due to the locking mechanism - definitely not going to flick it open with one finger, it takes a deliberate thumb motion.

Bowers

After loosing a number of high $ edc knives I keep my life saver knife well secured and use a second cheap knife for mundane tasks. I like a $35 lightning otf knife from grindworx. Easy to open and close with one hand and not a huge loss if you misplace it.

Yondering

I really like the Benchmade Axis lock blades and quality steel, so I keep a 710 or 581 in my pocket at all times, accepting the possibility that I might lose a ~$200 knife if something goes wrong. The risk is worth it to me to have a good blade, and I rarely lose or break a knife anyway.

However, I recognize the argument for cheaper blades, and have pleasantly surprised with the cheap "Ganzo Firebird" knives on Amazon for $20-$25. I've bought several of these as cheap gifts for various people and they've been reasonably good, much better than I expected for the price. I like this one best: https://www.amazon.com/Firebird-Poc...VPS5H3ZRA17&psc=1&refRID=7KZYMC297VPS5H3ZRA17

JLL2013

In short, I've found that carrying a small-ish fixed blade for lifesaving activities and a Swiss Army Knife for everything else is the way to go.
I carry either a Headhunter Blades Rat 90% of the time and a Victorinox Trekker (I also like the Dynamis blade and the Amtac blade also looks great).
Those tools on the SAK come in handy and the Rat is untouched till its absolutely needed.

I have had plenty of great folders, Emerson, Spyderco, customs, etc and this is where I've landed.

https://www.headhunterblades.com/hhb-product-details?product=653904609324
https://www.victorinox.com/us/en/Products/Swiss-Army-Knives/Large-Pocket-Knives/Trekker/p/0.8463.MW3

Western

Amateur
I have a Benchmade Bugout that I've carried for the past year or so, after losing my previous knife. I really like it. It's extremely light, so light I forget I'm carrying it sometimes, but still quite sturdy. I don't abuse my pocket knives that much, all I tend to do with them is cut stuff. For that, the Bugout has a very high quality blade. If you're looking for a knife you can really rail on, the Bugout probably isn't it, but it's super light and made of high quality steel.

erwos

Amateur
Thanks for the recommendations, guys. I'll be investigating some of these options further. Really wish a concealed fixed blade were a possibility for self-defense usage, but the legal situation here in MD makes that untenable.

CD228

Amateur
While I'm a big fan of Spyderco Enduras and Delicas, they are above the stated price point of $50. If you can up the number to $100 or so then I'd go spyderco. I've used them since around 1999, and never had an issue that wasn't operator induced. If you have to stay under $50 look at the Kershaw Emersons. I've kept one as a disposable backup knife in my desk at work. It has done well and it is a proven (emerson) design.

Oak City Tactics

Staff member
Kershaw Blurr is a lot of knife for the money but disposable as well. I generally carry either the blurr or the Walmart Spyderco when disposable is a requirement

NEC_0170

Amateur
The Kershaw Emerson collaborations feature the Wave for quick opening, are pretty good steel, and cheap. Knife Center had a 50% off sale last year - picked up a drop point and tanto version shipped to my house for $60. I keep one in the car and the other for travel - had a nice blade taken from my checked baggage once. I haven't made that mistake again : (

erwos

Amateur
However, I recognize the argument for cheaper blades, and have pleasantly surprised with the cheap "Ganzo Firebird" knives on Amazon for $20-$25. I've bought several of these as cheap gifts for various people and they've been reasonably good, much better than I expected for the price.
I wound up buying one of these as an interim option, have EDC'd it for a few weeks, and I have to say I am really impressed by it thus far. It has reasonable deployment speed, a good grip, and no blade play. Cuts pretty good whenever I've used it on various stuff (mostly boxes!), no rust despite the insane humidity, and that Axis lock is solid (as you'd expect from a Benchmade clone). Only downside is that it's a heavy SOB that you really notice when you have it in a pocket.

That said, I still might wind up buying a Kershaw CQC7K for an option that I can deploy really fast.

DavidS

I guess “cheap” is a relative thing
I consider production Emerson’s to be the minimum “cheap” knife id bet my life on
But I digress

Everyone needs to have a CQC7 in their stable

57229267867__AAD0CC73-9212-4ED8-992A-B2AEFC368084.JPG

krax

You can find Spyderco folders of various sizes and with the wave opener on Amazon for under $100 all day long. My preference is for the plain-edge Endura, but I'd get the Delica if I was worried about blade length for legal reasons. The P'kal is the better self-defense tool, but it'll cost twice as much and perhaps is less useful for everyday tasks (which it wasn't designed for).

I consider the "wave" to be a must-have. I think it's superior to an auto and doesn't have the legal issues of an auto. The fact that you can use it (and describe it to authorities) as a bottle opener doesn't hurt either. If I couldn't justify the cost of the Spyderco, the Kershaw licensed copies of the Emerson knives are a great value.

Barry B

NOT a knife guy. I have a few (14? 15?)... but I’m not a knife guy, per se. I have about 3-5 Kershaws, which for the price, I am extremely happy with. I have several Lion Steel knifes, and for the price, I’m happy with them. They are about $200 ea. I had a ZT carbon fiber I bought for my wife for Christmas, and then it got stripped out of my pocket by a seat belt I think.. Nearly $200 knife GONE. I also have a RAT 1 which is an amazing amount of knife for the money. The Rat 1 comes in various blade metals, and scale configurations... Rat 2 may be more closer to the size you want. All that said, I don’t think you can go wrong with a ZT. But, for something that may get taken, lost, stolen, or broken, a Kershaw is hard to beat.

Based on the little I know, and your requirements, I’d say go with a frame lock for obvious reasons, and a very thick blade, and solid pivot. If you have defensive use in mind, those are 3 things I’d not waver on. I prefer flippers, but just cuz they are easy.

My defensive knife is a small Spartan Blades Enyo, and I am very happy with that.

Good luck on your choice, post pics of what you end up with.

HIGHLY recommend www.bladehq.com for a place to see what’s out there. I’ve ordered from them more than a couple times.

Barry

jdgiii

I'm hard on knives. A long time ago I quit buying any knife over $50 (an arbitrary number I feel good with. YMMV). I found the Boker Plus Kalashnikov on Blade HQ. Not the sexiest. Cheezy name. But its a snappy auto knife that holds a decent edge under $45. There are several blade profiles and if you're a lefty like me they have three lefty models. If I lose or break one I'm not gonna be upset. Definitely worth a look.

https://www.bladehq.com/cat--Boker-Kalashnikov--249

CD228

Amateur
Ouch, we accidentally resurrected an old post and I even repeated my advice without looking at previous post. I'm doing push ups!