PSA: Just Do The Workout

This happens to me often but I always forget, so I wanted to post it as a reminder - to myself and to folks who might be new to fitness:

If you had a shitty day or you're feeling tired or whatever - do your workout. Even if it's just 1 set. Chances are, you'll "wake up", do the complete workout, and by the time it's all done, you'll walk out feeling fuckin good and it will have been worth it.

shoobe01

Established
I don't always feel good, but always do the workout. And, I take it further to always walk (ideally: run) there. Even when a blizzard, etc. It's only 1/2 mile, but it can be a thing.

Every time, on schedule. In total, it works. Even if it doesn't improve the day, tomorrow I'll feel better than if I skip today.

WAVandal

Seriously, just do the workout.

I fractured my leg last November at work, thankfully it was just the fibula in two places. Went back on the road at the end of January but wasn't regularly in the gym until a few months ago. I keep my pre-workout in my locker and by the time I get to the gym it has kicked in and I'm ready to go. Just do the workout.

The main thing is to be constantly motivated to do a lot of exercises and bring the diversity to your workout routine. The majority of newbies in workout are not familiarized with basic workout exercises, thus they make a number of mistakes. To my mind, you can simply avoid them and manage to fit up by keeping in mind that you can always visit this website which will definitely come in handy to your workout routine!

shoobe01

Established
May I gripe: My gym is closing for two weeks for some... something. Maintenance or something. But whole facility, CLOSED for two weeks. Have some powerblocks, will carry on as best I can at home, but someone get this thread to gym managers: they need to help us out here!

Wil

I had to modify many of my work out routines, firearms and martial arts training when I was dealing with my hip issues, but I rarely missed a session. After the replacement surgery, I discovered just how important being in shape was to my recovery. I was up and moving, with no assistance device, and off of pain meds literally in 2 weeks or 2 1/2 weeks. Almost two years later, I am gaining back a lot of the athleticism that I once had. Keep it up and don't give in to the easy path!

I had to modify many of my work out routines, firearms and martial arts training when I was dealing with my hip issues, but I rarely missed a session. After the replacement surgery, I discovered just how important being in shape was to my recovery. I was up and moving, with no assistance device, and off of pain meds literally in 2 weeks or 2 1/2 weeks. Almost two years later, I am gaining back a lot of the athleticism that I once had. Keep it up and don't give in to the easy path!

this is a meaningful post for me as I ruptured my quad tendon in my left knee during a time that I had let myself get really out of shape and I quickly realized that was a mistake lol

While I lost most of that extra weight once I was up walking again, its been over 3 years now and I’m finally getting some of my athleticism back as well and it’s like being reborn lol

Reactions: Wil

shoobe01

Established
Not precisely on topic, but for the end where someone can't do their workout, but I thought you all would like to roll your eyes at this:

The community center gym where I go at least three times a week, moved all all their machines (vs the free weight stuff) without warning over the weekend. Not just without warning to the users, but to the staff, to the trainers. Everyone was surprised.

The new gym manager (subset of the whole community center) did it on his own. Without asking, measuring or hiring anyone to move things.

They broke some equipment. And broke three dollys moving the heavy stuff!

The new arrangement has serious traffic flow issues. Now we have to constantly cross the track, on a corner where you can’t see anyone coming.

Some of the machines are unusable. I can’t use one thtat’s part of my workout because it doesn’t have clearance, I bump my head on a concrete wall!

This was the gym manager?

And much more. 200 written complaints on day one, for a place were my 3-4 complaints a year makes me a big troublemaker.

The best though, ready for this?...

Not ADA (or I assume, fire code) compliant. Very narrow passage between machines and the railing next to it.

They have a LOT of people who come for PT, a, at all levels. One reportedly was crying because she couldn’t get her wheelchair in there to work out.

And… it’s all moving back!

I have previously had Thoughts about the guy who became the gym manager. Wonder how long he'll last after the only thing at the community center I can reasonably call a debacle.