Training ammunition recommendations?

I have not bought bulk ammunition in probably a decade and am finally getting back into training again now. I have absolutely no idea what companies are recommended and who to avoid. I typically buy 500-1000 rounds at a time. I exclusively shoot 9mm for my carry gun (G19), and am using Speer G2 for my carry ammo.

Any help would be appreciated

David Mayeur

Speer Lawman is designed to be the counterpart for Gold Dot.

It's close enough to POA/POI that you won't notice a shift unless you're shooting 95+ scores on 25 yard bulls.

Oak City Tactics

Staff member
YMMV I get 3" difference with that combo at work out of anything with fine sights such as an RMR or Dawson adjustables with a thin front. The ball prints 3" high to the GD in 124 grn. It does show on B8's at 25. Otherwise its very reliable and clean.

David Mayeur

YMMV I get 3" difference with that combo at work out of anything with fine sights such as an RMR or Dawson adjustables with a thin front. The ball prints 3" high to the GD in 124 grn. It does show on B8's at 25. Otherwise its very reliable and clean.

That's interesting. I'm shooting 115gr Lawman and 124gr +P HST.

GD and HST are about the same out of my gun.

David Mayeur

115 speer is a solid 6 high from my gold dot 124 in both MOS guns. I was surprised.

That's pretty crazy. Hornady 135gr +P is about 4 inches high compared to the 115 blazer I was shooting. HST 124gr +P was about 2" high. Then I switched to Speer and it was pretty much POA/POI. I picked up some 124gr Blazer, and while it shoots soft, it's about a 2" drop compared to the 115 gr Speer.

Whatever’s cheap, similar POI to carry load, factory new, in that order. I wouldn’t get wrapped around the axle about practice ammo.
I would rather get more reps in with cheap ammo that shoots 4 inches right than less reps with more expensive practice ammo.
I use whatever nato spec 9mm is cheapest at the time. Why, because it’s cheap, similar recoil and POU to 124 gr +p gold dots, and it’s not some reloaded garbage from a no name company that might blow up my gun.

MojoNixon

Established
I’ve been using 124 NATO Spec for training ammo for a couple of years now. In my hands it feels so substantially similar to my carry load (147 +P) out of my comped G19 that I see no reason to change to anything else.