N.A.T.S. Advanced Human Tracking Course AAR

jBravo3

In accordance with my resolution to round out my skill set(s) and focus a little less on guns and shooting this year, this class seemed appropriate.

My hope is that the reader who has not yet attended a visual tracking or "mantracking" class, no matter what their profession, will take at least one, even if not with NATS. There are lots of reputable schools and instructors available, most of whom are engaged with P&S in one capacity or another. Additionally, I'm recording this for my own benefit in order to reflect on the overall experience, lessons learned, etc. This AAR format will be a little rough due to the fact I'm submitting from my phone - I apologize.

Course Title: Advanced Human Tracking

Dates/School/Venue:

Friday, June 7th, 2019 to Sunday, June 9th, 2019 - Three days

Natural Awareness Tracking School,
https://www.trackingschool.com

Montgomery County, VA and Botetourt County, VA

Primary Instructor:

Rob Speiden - This was not the first class I've taken from Rob. He has literally written the book (actually, a couple of them) on tracking, and is a highly respected SME. His passion for the subject matter shines through in his lectures and classes, he's articulate, well prepared, and took time to make sure each student was keeping up and learning. I've previously taken basic tracking and awareness from his school, and a collaborative cold weather/winter survival course.

Student Demographics:

12 students from four states - 4 active LE, 2 professional guides/primitive living skills instructors, 6 wilderness SAR trackers. It was somewhat refreshing to get away from egos, flexing, 5.11 pants, and thin blue line stuff for a class. Students were all good, down to earth people (literally and metaphorically I suppose), friendly, great attitudes, etc. - all came to learn, and most were exceptional trackers.

Equipment:

Standard tracking kit, including basic survival equipment (10 essentials), rain gear, waterproof writing utensils, nav (compass, GPS, map, protractor), footprint/track ID/sketch cards, laptop computer, digital camera. I carried my gear in a Hill People Gear Kit Bag and Hill People Gear Tarahumara backpack. Comfortable hiking type clothes Friday and Saturday, Class A police dress uniform on Sunday.
No modification to gear or equipment needed, overall satisfied with equipment performance (wearing a uniform still sucks, being soaking wet still sucks).

Background/Personal Experience:

I have been tracking since I was a little kid - ever since my dad and uncles started taking me hunting. Since then I have used visual tracking successfully, not only as a hunter (primarily a bowhunter btw), but professionally as a police officer, Marine, and wilderness search and rescue technician. Living in a relatively secluded, rural area, visual tracking is a layer in my personal security system, and I routinely use it professionally in order to supplement my abilities as a police K9 handler on K9 tracks.

I have successfully utilized footprint impression evidence to bring resolution to multiple criminal investigations, and have utilized tracking skills in multiple terrain types, ranging from Japan, to the US/Mexico border (Barry Goldwater Range, Yuma, AZ and Chocolate Mountains, Niland, CA), to Iraq and the Appalachians. I have received hundreds of hours of formal, structured training regarding "mantracking."

Weather:

55° - 75°, wet, damp, cloudy, consistent rain

Course Overview:

Prerequisite experience and specific training reference tracking was mandatory (one of the LE guys in the class was granted an exception on this, and he told me on the side that he was struggling to keep up and wished he had waited until he had attended at least a basic course). There were no equipment inspections as everyone was expected to be at an operational and professional level.

Training day one began with student introductions and an outline of the course from the instructors. Due to a steady and torrential downpour, most of the day was spent inside the classroom. Several lectures and presentations were made, and in the afternoon, prior to completion of the day at approximately 6pm, the class was divided into three, four man tracking teams and we conducted a few exercises and drills. Much time was spent discussing the differences between observation and interpretation, and both the means and importance of evidence/scene preservation and documentation.

This class is the only one of it's kind that I'm aware of, in that the primary focus is recording observations and interpretations, and recording and documenting findings for professional presentation in court.

A state attorney gave a very beneficial period of instruction in the afternoon on courtroom testimony and decorum, the process by which one is determined an expert witness in a court of law, trial prep, and related topics. With the exception of the LE personnel in attendance, no one else in the class had testified in a criminal trial before, and the information seemed to be very well received.

We were given instructions on where and how to report the next morning, instructed that we would maintain our same teams, and were dismissed for the day.

Training day 2 began back in the classroom. I will be deliberately short with information regarding the activities on day 2, so as to not ruin the training experience for students in the future, but will give a general description.

Teams were briefed on a situation, were assigned tasks, instructed to gear up, and we all then convoyed to a remote training site, left our vehicles, and proceeded on our tasks/missions via foot.

Teams encountered complex problems, were required to record observations in accordance with training and SOPs, and were then required to make interpretations based on their observations, knowledge, training, and experience.

The exercise concluded at approximately 2pm, and students and instructors returned to the classroom, where case notes, evidence, and reports were compiled and completed. The training day officially concluded at 6pm. Due to family and work obligations I departed, although the majority of students diligently stayed in order to finish reports, mapping, and organizing digital photography.

Training day 3 began at a Virginia Circuit Court, with a professional judge presiding over a "mock" trial regarding the incidents our teams had investigated, and with professional attorneys prosecuting and defending the case(s).

Each student was required to testify as an expert witness, per standards set forth, and present their findings to the court. Several students were grilled pretty hard and everyone learned a lot from the experience as a whole, but especially from training day 3. Certificates were presented following debrief after the court exercise, and the course was adjourned at approximately 2:30pm.

Summary and Lessons Learned:

If you ever get lost, get lost in Virginia. The SAR Trackers in the state are phenomenal and are required to uphold very tough standards, which has much to do with Mr. Speiden's dedication and commitment to tracking as a professional art and science. The trackers on the team I was with were no exception and I was legitimately impressed with their abilities. I was probably the weak link, if there was one, in my group.

I can't say enough about the knowledge and hard earned wisdom presented in the course, and Natural Awareness Tracking School, and Mr. Speiden are both highly recommended for training.

As previously noted, I had no gear failures, and I had the opportunity to test my abilities and increase my confidence in my abilities as a visual tracker.

Weaknesses and shortcomings would definitely be a general lack in recording of visual tracking training.

I'm still not sure if that's something I need to do as my primary interest in the skillset is supplemental to K9 tracking and general woodsmanship. Additionally, I feel like I'm pretty heavy in actual field experience regarding tracking, and have a background to prove proficiency and success, in addition to documentation regarding professional training courses I've attended. The last thing I need in my life is more paperwork and more bureaucracy, and I'm just not convinced visual tracking training logs and notes are absolutely necessary for my intended purposes, needs and roles. I'll think about it.

One other failure point, from my perspective, was my courtroom testimony. I've testified in...I really don't know how many trials and hearings - a lot - and I went in with somewhat of an "I got this" attitude and didn't heed the advice to go over questions before trial that I wanted from the prosecuting attorney, provide a resume, etc. I still did "ok" per other students and instructors, and didn't totally bomb it, but my background and experience could've definitely been presented far stronger by me, and my prep work should've been better. Lesson learned.

This was a phenomenal class and should be a "capstone" training event for any professional tracker - not that the journey is ever done. It was extremely unique and, I assume due to the logistics involved, is apparently only offered once a year. If you can get in, go.

For the uninitiated, take a basic tracking class ASAP. We talk on here all the time about threat prep, situational awareness, mindset, etc, and tracking really does help to frame your way of thinking regarding awareness in your environment. Rob Speiden's intro classes ref. awareness and basic tracking would be great places to start.