Karambit Discussion

Gypsy EDC

Something worth noting, I’ve been doing a lot more reading/watching Craig Douglas and more generally interested in Pikal/reverse-grip-edge-in knife utilization. The movements, mechanical advantage, and ease of use all really make sense to me and seem like it would be an option worth pursuing.

I was reading up on Pikal knives one night, going back and forth between pictures of Clinch Picks and various karambits, and then an idea struck; How would you design a knife that combines all of my favorite things about karambits (curved, ergonomic handle with an index finger ring, proclivity for slashing and trapping/manipulation) with the gross motor skill, shearing/ripping capabilities of a Pikal/Clinch Pick?

A fixed blade with a karambit-style curved/ringed handle, mated to a relatively small double-edged Persian dagger blade shape would do the trick. For the life of me though, I can’t seem to find one being made by anyone...
Here's a snapshot of my EDC fixed blade evolution
Third one down is my current EDC when I designed it I was going for both laceration and puncturing ability it is 5/16" 01 tool with an RHC of 60-62

You can mod the Bastinelli 4th one down is a schrade sharpfinger I did the same mod on (although it doesn't have a ring) you have to take your time and be careful so you don't end up with a ruined heat treat or grind. knives.png

MOT

I’m curious about that second one down. I’m assuming it’s basically a punch dagger. It does seem like the ring on that one doesn’t have the same benefits as one at the end of the handle. Not sure as I have no experience with it.
I happen to like ringed knives as I see some utility with the ring, specifically drawing the blade from concealment. There’s other advantages with the ring as well but getting a busted/gloved finger is absolutely a risk.
As far as karambits and other blades go I prefer a single edge for my uses.
Side note, nice work Gypsy

Gypsy EDC

Thanks, that's a Colonel LowVZ never really fell in love with it similar to the TDI series in terms of POU.

Reactions: MOT

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Here's a snapshot of my EDC fixed blade evolution
Third one down is my current EDC when I designed it I was going for both laceration and puncturing ability it is 5/16" 01 tool with an RHC of 60-62

You can mod the Bastinelli 4th one down is a schrade sharpfinger I did the same mod on (although it doesn't have a ring) you have to take your time and be careful so you don't end up with a ruined heat treat or grind. View attachment 4420

Awesome, thank you for the pics! Sounds like that Bastinelli needs to be my next purchase and start looking for a local bladesmith who can give it a second edge for me...

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Got in contact with a reputable knife customizer and explained what I’d be looking for, sounds like he’d be very able and willing to make the modifications to the Bastinelli Picolomako to turn it into a hybridized Pikal/double-edged Persian.

Looks like I’ve got a semi-custom knife project in my future. Now just need to gather the funds for it...

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Deposit made with the bladesmith, 8-10 week lead time and I’ll have one of the above knives in-hand. Excited to get started practicing some RGEI methodology!

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
HA I heard back from another custom maker that I’d reached out to a while back and he offered me a killer deal on a custom knife made to my specs because he’d been wanting to make basically the same blade for a while anyway out of one of his current designs, so...Looks like I’ll be getting two variations on the same theme from two different custom bladesmiths!

The second one will be a ringed, double-edged version of Greg Moffatt’s 7” Kaniksu;

E4FAEB19-CB79-4FEA-95C9-661782BB7911.png

https://www.gregmoffattknives.com/store/p47/Kaniksu_7”.html

This one will be a black finish with textured carbon fiber handles, while the Karakal from Xavier Knox (EchoDeltaCharlie) is set to be a satin finish with cord-wrapped handle. I’m excited to compare the different bladesmith takes on the combination of specs I’ve been wanting!

I carry a knife as a secondary weapon, likely 99 times out of 100 my goal would be to transition from knife to pistol ASAP. Any lateral force applied to the blade of a karambit is going to be multiplied and directed at the MCP of your index finger (an important joint when it comes to pulling a trigger). You can get an idea of what could happen using an appropriate trainer. It's a risk may not be an exceptionally high one but one easily avoided with 0-minimal downside
With the change in the ammunition, the battle strategies have also largely changed. Now, the knights have been replaced by the modern warrior who carries weapons that are increasingly lethal, and a hit of ammo fired from these weapons can deliver serious and impairing, and sometimes fatal impact. This makes it very essential to ensure necessary protection with Body Armor that matches contemporary requirements.

The modern technology has helped us to improvise on the available technology and the resources. The innovations have brought in a sea change in the materials being used to manufacture Ballistic Body Armour and Gear, that is designed to deliver optimum security and protection.

Western

Amateur
I'm curious for those who have carried a karambit, how does it compare as an everyday tool to a normal drop/clip point style knife? I've always kind of liked the way karambits looked, but for me a knife is pretty much just a tool and not a weapon.

MOT

I'm curious for those who have carried a karambit, how does it compare as an everyday tool to a normal drop/clip point style knife? I've always kind of liked the way karambits looked, but for me a knife is pretty much just a tool and not a weapon.

Karabits are ok for opening boxes and landscape/gardening stuff. Not better than a typical straight blade for my purposes. Kinda hard to cut apples and spread peanut butter with one.

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
I was going to say, they make decent box cutters but I’ve never used any of mine for any utility tasks beyond that. That’s what the blade on my multitool is for

Reactions: MOT

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
After doing a bit more research into leading manufacturers of pikal combative blades, I decided to go a slightly different direction and am now working with a bladesmith out of South Africa on a truly one-off custom hybridized pikal/karambit - Ironside Edgeworks, to be specific;

https://ironsideedgeworks.com

I was particularly impressed with some of the handle work that Gavin is doing on what could be described as “full dress” versions of his knives, as can be seen in this example of a prototype blade he’s been working on commissioned by none other than Craig Douglas himself;

0A7EF7EC-6330-446B-AC3E-FD46062205A6.jpeg

Deposit has been made, concept sketch approved, and work on my one-off “karambikal” will begin in the next week. This knife is going to be as much a work of art as it will be an effective defensive tool ;) I’ll post up more here when I get more updates

Gypsy EDC

After doing a bit more research into leading manufacturers of pikal combative blades, I decided to go a slightly different direction and am now working with a bladesmith out of South Africa on a truly one-off custom hybridized pikal/karambit - Ironside Edgeworks, to be specific;

https://ironsideedgeworks.com

I was particularly impressed with some of the handle work that Gavin is doing on what could be described as “full dress” versions of his knives, as can be seen in this example of a prototype blade he’s been working on commissioned by none other than Craig Douglas himself;

View attachment 4645

Deposit has been made, concept sketch approved, and work on my one-off “karambikal” will begin in the next week. This knife is going to be as much a work of art as it will be an effective defensive tool ;) I’ll post up more here when I get more updates
Funny I was just thinking of you this morning wondering how your blade turned out.
Here's a pic of a custom piece I'm in the process of finishing. Planning on making a couple more. Wicked wicked tool not something you want to hand to just anyone.
IMG_20190715_184822249-02-2080x1170.jpeg

MOT

Perhaps worth mentioning here,
As for tool use, I have given one of my karambits to my SO for her gardening purposes. She’s not into fighting or knives but seems to thinks the blade I gave her is perfect for harvesting veggies and slaying weeds.