Dependable EDC light in the 40-70 dollar range?

For me the bezel of the Streamlight HL-X is bigger around than I like to carry in my pocket so I went with the Pro Tac 2L. It's 500 lumens, the same diameter as the 1L, programmable if you're into the low/high/strobe thing, weighs 2oz. less, and comes with a good pocket clip.

Also, IIRC, the issues with the HL-X weaponlight version were directly related to the tape switch/light body interface, that's why Cloud Defensive developed their tape switch for it. I don't remember hearing about any issues with the HL-X when using the regular clicky tailcap.

Oak City Tactics

Staff member
I’ve been carrying the HLX in my pocket at work and around the house. While it’s never been an issue, I agree it’s like having a monkeys’s Paw in your pocket. It draws out fine, it rides fine, but there’s something intangible.

0uTkAsT

Amateur
Another vote for the Streamlight 1L-1AA.

The dual fuel capability is great for an EDC light should you need to unexpectedly swap cells on the fly, the brightness and beam is good for its size, it's the perfect length, and for $30-$40 you have no excuse not to carry it. The anxiety of losing a $100 flashlight would limit how often and where I might carry it. Mine have proven to be very rugged.

It's a bit fat if you wear trim-fit clothing, but I don't like the skinny pen lights either because they're uncomfortable to hold and don't have the same output so it's a good compromise. I loathe Streamlight's 10-tap switches, but once you get them programmed it's a non-issue. The pocket clip could be better, but it works well enough. I carry mine in my left front pocket and that's also where I keep my phone... occasionally when retrieving my phone the light comes with it and they've been dropped many times as a result and they're no worse for wear functionally (hence my comment about ruggedness). It's not perfect but at the same time I'd personally rather drop it now and then than have it be too difficult to retrieve from the pocket when needed and/or tear up my pants.