Sound measurement

STA

I was hoping to get some input about the best equipment to get numbers on different cans. I know which perform better but don't have numbers to go with the subjective information so am looking at getting the equipment to test (hopefully without using all of my resources).

Caomhin

It’s all relative.

But ideally you’d be able to sample 44kHz which would give you the ability to analyze frequencies of 22 kHz.

B&K makes great stuff but is spendy. You need to determine WHAT EXACTLY you’re trying to analyze. That will drive what equipment you use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: STA

SuthDet

44khz is way too slow. You want 100khz or better.

Realistically, you have 3 or 4 options. Options 1 and 2 are used analog meters from the 60s-70s, the b&k 2209, and the Larson 800b. They have their quirks, they need maintenance, and they can suddenly fail, like 50 year old gear. You can build your own system, there are components from Texas instruments and other data acquisition companies that would allow you to build and program an accurate system, this can cost about the same as getting a used meter, or maybe a little more. Or, you can buy a pulse from b&k, turn key 192khz, huge range, accurate, reliable and repeatable, downside, they're 50-60k depending on options and other supporting components and software.

Many suppressor companies and dealers have 2209s, and they work well, most of the time. A few companies have built their own systems, again they work, but they're harder to quantify, the specs and reliability of the data are pretty much limited to the credibility of the company. The pulse is on another level. It just makes everything so easy, and it's so repeatable.

Any more questions, just let me know

Tuukka

To follow up the above comments, if one wants reliable numbers for a reasonable investment, then it is the old B&K 2209 or the LD 800 B.

With other SPL set ups, you may or may not get the right numbers and you may have spent money not so wisely

Although extremely expensive, we went with the B&K PULSE system a couple of years back, it is the only COTS digital offering that meets the newest U.S. MIL STD version, that being the MIL-STD 1474E. Which sets very tough requirements for the equipment ( especially the sampling rate ), which the old analog do not meet any more.

29965309_6083810332634_7971037436803284992_n.png.jpg

Best Regards!

Tuukka Jokinen
Sales director, MIL/LE
Ase Utra sound suppressors

SuthDet

To follow up the above comments, if one wants reliable numbers for a reasonable investment, then it is the old B&K 2209 or the LD 800 B.

With other SPL set ups, you may or may not get the right numbers and you may have spent money not so wisely

Although extremely expensive, we went with the B&K PULSE system a couple of years back, it is the only COTS digital offering that meets the newest U.S. MIL STD version, that being the MIL-STD 1474E. Which sets very tough requirements for the equipment ( especially the sampling rate ), which the old analog do not meet any more.

29965309_6083810332634_7971037436803284992_n.png.jpg

Best Regards!

Tuukka Jokinen
Sales director, MIL/LE
Ase Utra sound suppressors
I was wondering if you were on here.