Compensators for FN 509.

Joker75

Amateur
I had one of the Henry Holsters 509 compensators, until they recalled them. I waited almost 2 months for the replacement compensator, but just received notice that they are having issues with the manufacturer holding up their end of the bargain.

I attempted to purchase a Micro Comp from Texas Black Rifle Company, prior to purchasing the Henry Holsters comp. Unfortunately, the last I heard was that TBRC's machine shop was down, and no one seemed to know if or when it would be back up, so that order was cancelled back in October.

I have found 2 other comps that are designed for the 509 Tactical, but I have reservations about both of them.

Parker Mountain Machine makes a single port comp, but it doesn't seem to be nearly as effective as the 2 port comps I've seen for other pistols.

Weapons Armament Research also has a 509 specific comp. However, it is also a single port, although their single port appears to be larger than the Parker Mountain Machine comp. I have a couple other concerns about the WAR comp, as well. The front face of it is angled, which my uneducated mind seems to think could adversely affect the bullet's trajectory as it is leaving the comp. The other question/concern would be the shape of the inside of the compensator. It has angled areas that seem like they would prevent the expended gasses from having a surface to impact, which I understand is one of the ways a compensator aids in recoil mitigation.

If anyone has any insight into whether any of my ramblings have any actual merit, please feel free to enlighten me.

Lastly, other than not matching the shape of the 509, is there any reason that the comps designed for Glocks or M&Ps, wouldn't function reliably on the 509? It seems like the KKM comp has quite a following, and for good reason, according to a compensator comparison that I recently read. Unfortunately, KKM only seems to sell their comp as a combination deal with a Glock 19 barrel. Does anyone have any information on whether or not there is a way to purchase the KKM comp without the Glock barrell, or if there are any other comps that have been run successfully on the 509 tactical?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
I don't see any reason to be concerned about the WAR comp. The angled front surface shouldn't negatively effect bullet trajectory and the expansion chamber doesn't have to have a flat surface for the gasses to work against - Just surface area. They may have actually increased the efficacy of the single chamber by increasing the surface area for the gasses to act on

Joker75

Amateur
Well, I bit the bullet, and placed my order for the WAR 509 Compensator. Hopefully, I'll see it soon, and can get some range time, to see how it compares to the Henry Holsters Comp that I returned.

Joker75

Amateur
I received my WAR 509 Compensator today. I got it installed, and am impatiently waiting for a chance to take it to the range. Now to see what ammo will run through this bad boy accurately and consistently.
8397af70015130505c92c26578980525.jpg

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
You'll likely find 124gr +P/NATO loads are the sweet spot. Seems most microcomps prefer loads of that type

Joker75

Amateur
You'll likely find 124gr +P/NATO loads are the sweet spot. Seems most microcomps prefer loads of that type
I have a couple boxes of 124gr +P and a box of 147 +P from Double tap, that I plan on running through, as soon as I can get to the range. I was planning on picking up some 124gr Speer Gold Dots and Federal HST, to see if any of them function better or are more accurate.

I'll definitely let you all know what I figure out, as soon as I have more info.

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
I'd be interested to hear if you notice any difference or have a preference for either the heavier or lighter recoil spring that comes with those pistols. Kind of neat that FN provided pre-tested options knowing people would likely either be shooting with a suppressor or possibly a compensator

Joker75

Amateur
I'd be interested to hear if you notice any difference or have a preference for either the heavier or lighter recoil spring that comes with those pistols. Kind of neat that FN provided pre-tested options knowing people would likely either be shooting with a suppressor or possibly a compensator
The one time I shot it with the Henry Holster Compensator on it, I didn't have any of the +P ammo, so I can't speak to how it affects the higher pressure loads. With the heavier recoil spring, it would not cycle, and produced stovepipes with almost 100% consistency.

Once I installed the lighter recoil spring, the 124gr Federal FMJ functioned randomly. I ran some 147gr Federal FMJ, and it only had a couple failures to cycle. It appeared to be cycling barely enough to strip rounds, as it never locked the slide once the magazines were empty.

I still have only about 200 total rounds through my pistol, so I'm not positive whether the Cerakote may still need some more abuse, to break in, and allow the slide to smooth out. That may or may not make a difference, as I run it more.

I am currently working on getting a holster set up, so I don't have to use my M&P duty holster, which serves only as a very crude pouch.

Also, I'm hoping to run my FN through a pistol course in May, so I should have an even better idea of how things shake out, then.

Stanand23

The one time I shot it with the Henry Holster Compensator on it, I didn't have any of the +P ammo, so I can't speak to how it affects the higher pressure loads. With the heavier recoil spring, it would not cycle, and produced stovepipes with almost 100% consistency.

Once I installed the lighter recoil spring, the 124gr Federal FMJ functioned randomly. I ran some 147gr Federal FMJ, and it only had a couple failures to cycle. It appeared to be cycling barely enough to strip rounds, as it never locked the slide once the magazines were empty.

I still have only about 200 total rounds through my pistol, so I'm not positive whether the Cerakote may still need some more abuse, to break in, and allow the slide to smooth out. That may or may not make a difference, as I run it more.

I am currently working on getting a holster set up, so I don't have to use my M&P duty holster, which serves only as a very crude pouch.

Also, I'm hoping to run my FN through a pistol course in May, so I should have an even better idea of how things shake out, then.

Speaking of holsters I was looking at the tier 1 holsters. They are appendix holsters but they have them for the 509 tactical.