Geisselle & DD URG-I

Joe _K

Established
This looks awesome! It is a Geisselle and Daniel Defense collaboration that is being released at SHOT 18’. It is essentially a SOCOM Block 3 upper but is so far only being adopted by USASOC contingent of USSOCOM and is referred to as the URG-I, or Upper Reciever Group - Improved, and it is.

- M4 Flattop Upper Receiver With A Low Profile Engraved T Marks And M4 cuts.

- Daniel Defense 14.5” Mid Length Barrel With A Pinned And Welded Surefire 3 Prong WarComp. Yes A Mid Length Gas System!

- Geisselle Low Profile Gas Block.

- New Geisselle Mk 16 13.5” MLOK Rail With MLOK Slots At 7 Positions Around The Rails Circumference With Low Profile Engraved T Marks On The Continuous M1913 Top Rail.

- Mil Spec BCG With Carpenter 158 Bolt And Upgraded Extractor.

- Geisselle Airborne Ambidextrous Charging Handle.

View attachment 1906View attachment 1907View attachment 1908View attachment 1909View attachment 1910View attachment 1911

Already for sale on Brownells.

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-par...ver-group-improved-5-56-m-lok-prod114412.aspx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

krax

It's an excellent option and actually a decent value. Pair it with something like a complete BCM or LMT lower and you can spend less time picking parts and more time shooting.

I kinda wish it was available without the pinned War Comp, just because not everyone uses a Surefire can.

Joe _K

Established
It's an excellent option and actually a decent value. Pair it with something like a complete BCM or LMT lower and you can spend less time picking parts and more time shooting.

I kinda wish it was available without the pinned War Comp, just because not everyone uses a Surefire can.

It is available with no muzzle device and no CH or BCG and is about $400 cheaper as a result. But in all seriousness who isn’t using Surefire Cans these days.

Joe _K

Established
On the civilian side? Lots of people. Surefire makes an excellent can, but it's far from the only good option.

I get that, but I personally don’t want to feed into the multitude of competing industry standards. Find the top cans, find the one issued to the most Assaulters and pick that one. Same reason I only use A-2 flash hiders. The Knights NT-4 is another great option, it’s just bit outdated and doesn’t do anything better than the Surefire SOCOM, aside from be heavier.

krax

OK...

I guess what I'm saying is that I'd prefer they not pin/weld it on there. I'm still gonna buy it.

BooneGA

Staff member
WARLORD
I get that, but I personally don’t want to feed into the multitude of competing industry standards. Find the top cans, find the one issued to the most Assaulters and pick that one. Same reason I only use A-2 flash hiders. The Knights NT-4 is another great option, it’s just bit outdated and doesn’t do anything better than the Surefire SOCOM, aside from be heavier.

If you use "its what assaulters are issued" for cans why are you using an A2 flash hider?

I'm certain if there was enough demand they would offer it without the pinned hider, but they will likely sell a shit ton just the way it is.

Rick

Joe _K

Established
If you use "its what assaulters are issued" for cans why are you using an A2 flash hider?

I'm certain if there was enough demand they would offer it without the pinned hider, but they will likely sell a shit ton just the way it is.

Rick

Currently do not have any carbines set up for suppressed use. What do the majority of .Mil types use for unsuppressed use? A-2, plus it works as well as any other available flash hider on the market but it costs $7.

BooneGA

Staff member
WARLORD
Got ya - for general military its the A2. For SOCOM its the Surefire 3 prong currently - I have to go back over the brief and see what we are getting (warcomps?) and if DD is the actual barrel manufacturer or if that's just for the civilian model.

Rick

Paul053

Amateur
I notice the barrel profile says Socom. Is that a legit socom barrel like bcm's? Starts thick then taper down? Was about to buy a Bcm socom upper but it's carbine length, I may have to wait for this.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

BooneGA

Staff member
WARLORD
I have not used a BCM SOCOM profile barrel. What do you mean by legit?

Also unless you are building a clone Id stay away from GOVT or SOCOM profile.

Rick

Paul053

Amateur

Rick
By legit meaning that heavier profile barrel that Bcm has in their Socom upper. Lots of companies dd included advertise a socom upper but the profile of the barrel is government, thin to the gas block then thicker towads the end. Here's a link to bcm's offering. I'm just asking if the dd barrel in this urgi is a similar profile

https://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-16-M4-Barrel-Stripped-SOCOM-p/bcm-brl-s-m4 socom 16 std.htm

https://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Standard-14-5-M4-SOCOM-Upper-Receiver-p/bcm-urg-m4-14socom.htm

DanM

Rick

Can you elaborate why you recommend staying away from SOCOM profile barrels? I’ve always understood them to be really accurate and only a little bit heavier than GOVT profile barrels?

BooneGA

Staff member
WARLORD
If you dont need the step cut for an M203 there are tons of better options.
Rick

I wanted to add this has been updated in the description, these will ship with the SF flash hider mounts and NOT warcomps, changing the value significantly in my opinion. I was cool with pinned warcomps, but having to switch muzzle devices on a pinned upper, the juice is not worth the squeeze. YMMV. I am very curious to see what else is going to come from Geissele at SHOT. (C'mon VSASS!)

hile

Amateur
As a follow-on question to RadioActivity's comment, does 14.5+pinned muzzle device buy one that much vs 16" + normal muzzle device? I haven't shot any of the former, but is that inch and a half worth it? I think I heard Roland state on one of the modcasts that he prefers 14.5", to the point that it'd be worth it to SBR all one's lowers.

SmElly

As a follow-on question to RadioActivity's comment, does 14.5+pinned muzzle device buy one that much vs 16" + normal muzzle device? I haven't shot any of the former, but is that inch and a half worth it? I think I heard Roland state on one of the modcasts that he prefers 14.5", to the point that it'd be worth it to SBR all one's lowers.
I'd rather put the SBR/Pin and weld money into simply buying a better barrel.

A $250 16" is gonna perform like a $250 barrel. A $200 14.5" with a $50 pin and weld still performs like a $200 barrel, despite costing you $250.

Additionally, re-barreling becomes more costly/more of a chore. Instead of just swapping barrels, now you gotta pay some guy to take off and reinstall your muzzle device.
I dunno, that's just the way I think about it.

hile

Amateur
That's exactly what I was getting at. What benefit does a 14.5" + muzzle device get you compared to a 16" + muzzle device? Never having fought inside structures, does that 1.5" really make enough difference to make it worthwhile to SBR all one's lowers or, alternatively, to deal with the pin/weld hassle?

Paul053

Amateur
That's exactly what I was getting at. What benefit does a 14.5" + muzzle device get you compared to a 16" + muzzle device? Never having fought inside structures, does that 1.5" really make enough difference to make it worthwhile to SBR all one's lowers or, alternatively, to deal with the pin/weld hassle?
Not having any experience whatsoever so take it for what it's worth. If you're room clearing so much that length is an issue than I'd imagine even a 14.5 would be the wrong tool. That's why my 11.5 ar pistol is my designated home gun. If room clearance isn't your day to day forte then I don't see the benefits of a 14.5 pinned barrel for all the hassle it is over a 16 with an short a2 sized muzzle device.

Paul053

Amateur
On a side note I still don't know what barrel profile the urgi is coming with. Is it a medium profile socom or skinny to fat government profile?