JPoint ultra low mount for Glock MOS

GarandThumb

Gentlemen,

I did a search and nothing came up. I wanted to draw you attention to the ultra low mount for the JPoint optic.

http://jprifles.com/buy.php?item=SHIELD-MNT-GLKMO
http://jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPOINT4

I've done research on the JPoint and have come to a mixed conclusion about it's ability to be used reliably in life or death situations. If I were to use it - it would not be on a duty pistol but rather on a concealed carry weapon. Do you believe that this is a viable option for those who have a Glock MOS pistol? What are your thoughts on the JPoint and the mount? I appreciate any and all input.

Rabbit

I really wanted to like the jpoint/ulow mount option. I got turned off by the durability factor of a polymer body with very little support over the lens and polycarbonate lens (scratches much more easily).

The Shield RMS came out and i thought it might be the solution. The side pull battery tray looked like a nice touch, the body is aluminum instead of polymer. Also can use the ulow mount plate. Still has a polycarbonate lens if i remember right. The lens still doesn't have a lot of surround, and the skeletonized support seems like the trade-off of lighter weight for less ruggedness might not be worth it.

Both are auto brightness, and i have to have the manual adjustment running a light. Just one if my requirements.

Between Jpoint and the RMS I'd get the RMS

I haven't tried the RMS, and i get new RMRs for the same price, so i stuck with trijicon. I'd love to see some testing done on the RMS.

Jake@OPFW

So, I have all three of the RDS referenced in the above two posts. The Shield RMS was the first MRDS that I personally bought. Since several of my peers have used the JPoint as a back-up on both ACOGs and ELCANs, I had confidence in the performance and reliability of the RMS. I used the RMS on my carry gun for about 6 months with zero issues, but in terms of testing the sight had less than 200 rounds of abuse behind it (I admit this is a small amount, but in my defense my EDC gun is simply a compact model of the full-sized gun I use in competition). It transitioned from varying lighting conditions flawlessly, was cross-compatible with all JPoint mounts, and promised to provide me years of service. Then disaster struck.

The day after I ordered a JPoint to use as an offset sight, I switched the RMS to my competition pistol and took it to the range. When it looked like it might rain I threw caution to the wind and trained anyway. After about 50 rounds it began to rain. Like a torrential downpour. Since I was shooting steel, I thought, "fuck it, if it ain't raining..." Less than 50 rounds later the RMS flickered out. Thinking that I shorted the battery, I switched it out with no success so I went home. Then thinking it might have become waterlogged, I submerged it in a bowl of rice for a day and tried again. Thinking that maybe, just maybe my spare battery was bad I went down Wal-Mart and bought a brand new 2032. Still no luck.

At this point, annoyed that I had just bought a new JPoint and was waiting for it to arrive, I decided to write to Shield. To their credit I contacted them with my problem, they gave me an address to mail the sight to (in the UK), and within two weeks sent me a replacement sight. I still have no idea what exactly broke on the original sight. While I was waiting for the replacement sight I broke down and bought an RMR. I haven't thought twice about it. The new RMS is sitting in a drawer waiting to replace my JPoint when it breaks.

Speaking of JPoints breaking. Yes, it is plastic and yes it (like the RMS) uses a plastic-type screen. To the credit of JP Rifles, it you look on their website they will tell you that the JPoint, if being used in a duty capacity, should be considered an expendable item and planned for accordingly. Unfortunately for me, I didn't discover this (or pay close enough attention apparently) until I received my JPoint in the mail.

So, a brief summary: is the Shield RMS or JPoint suitable for hard duty use? Not if you account for the fact that it is expendable and that for the cost of replacing it, you would be better off just buying an RMR and worrying less about it breaking. I do still recommend it as an offset sight or on a competition weapon or in a plinker capacity. And that is all I have to say about that.